Monday, September 09, 2013

New Past-time...Documentaries!

In the evening, when Mike is putting the boys to bed, I take Kaitlyn and do her evening stuff (feed and put down..it varies each night when she might go down).  Usually, Kaitlyn goes to sleep around 8:30 or 9, and Mike is still with the boys for a while longer.  Until the kids are asleep, I usually do a few computer things, grade papers (if I happen to have a class going), read email, blog (like I'm doing now) and so on.  Recently, though, I've gone through the Netflix cue for a few things to watch, but something maybe Mike wouldn't necessarily want to watch, and something I could just interrupt halfway through (didn't have to invest an hour or two in one stretch).  One of the categories that came up was documentaries...specifically I think they called it "cerebral documentaries" or something like that.

So far, I'm on my 3rd documentary in the past week.  The first was called "Dying to Know", a documentary about the Gerson therapy.  The second was a National Geographic documentary on tracing the paths of human migration through genetic markers.  Now I'm watching "Burzynski", a documentary about a novel cancer treatment.

I like to think I'm a pretty "open" person...I like to learn new things, I'm open to new ideas and ways of doing things.  I also know quite a bit about certain topics, academically, and those topics I feel confident that I know more than the average person and can evaluate them critically.  So after watching these documentaries (and notice, they're all biotech/biomedical/cancer related...a subject I'm well versed in), I feel the need to offer my opinion on the documentary...which in turn ends up being about the topic of the documentary in general.  The way I see it, documentaries SHOULD try to show both sides of an issue and let the audience decide, but you can totally tell when the maker is trying to sway the audience towards one viewpoint.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get around to spewing my opinion on these...stay tuned! :)

No comments: