Monday, April 11, 2005

Thoughts on turning 28

By the time shown on my laptop clock, it appears to be just after midnight on April 11th. Which's my BIRTHDAY.

So I'll give my yearly post that I've given ever since...uh...last year...on my birthday (see for that post). I'm turning 28. If one wants to be super specific here, I'll have spent exactly 28 years in the outside world at around 8:30 am something, eastern standard time (translated to about 11:30 am local time). But hey...the whole of April 11th is my birthday, which means that it is now.

As for the past year? Great! Did I get everything I wanted accomplished in this past year that I had hoped for. Not really. But last year at this time, I didn't think that I'd be living in Reno, looking to buy a house there, and so on and so forth. Also thought I'd be done with my PhD now, but alas that didn't happen quite on time (keep nagging me Mike!).

Onto other things. This weekend was great as well! It was much too short for my liking, however. The plane trip from Tucson to Reno went off without a hitch and ontime for once (!!!). The weather was a little bit bumpy around Las Vegas, causing the airplane to sway more than I've ever experienced and making the landing pretty challenging for the pilots. I got the first of my birthday presents, early, which was a dozen roses. I am always so amazed and surprised whenever I recieve flowers from Mike. And this time is no exception!

The second of my birthday gifts was on the bed when we got home. I laid down and it was a pillow! Not just any pillow, but a TempurPedic one! And I must say, that pillow is one of the greatest things to come down the line since sliced bread. Actually, I think I like it better than sliced bread. Just a teaser for buying the entire TempurPedic bed one of these days. The pillow is firm, yet soft, which is kind of counterintuitive, but it gives you really great neck and back support. I know I sound like an advertisement, but it really is awesome stuff...and it made my neck feel great in the morning.

That night we ate at home, rested and I crashed out still wearing most of my day-clothes. Woke up the next morning and went to a track meet for Mike's brother's school. It was COLD. And oddly enough...snowing! After spending a few hours there, we bailed and went back home. We ate a little, then it was off to look at houses again! Found some houses that we liked (not as much as one we looked at before that we have ZERO chance of getting into a new one), and a slight glimmer of hope that we might, one of these days, be on a real waiting list with a real chance for one of those houses. Sigh.

And back home again for a little naptime, followed by dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. And hey...we all got carded! of...we slept in a little later and cleaned up, for Mike's parents are coming soon. And next weekend we are both off to LA for the meeting!

That is my weekend in a nutshell...and my very brief reflections on the whole birthday thing. Cheerios!

No comments: