Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Stamina: Renewed

Well, it's March 1st (at least it is right now in many time zones). I was supposed to have everything out of my apartment in Tucson, but didn't quite make it. It all turns out well in the end, but I think I'm going to reflect on a few things that could have been done better.

Starting way back in November. Should have bought more boxes and started packing things sooner. Stems from being generally lazy and loving to nap after work. I feel like if I would have had everything in boxes (or at least twice as much as I did on actual Uhaul moving day), I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Second point. Taking said boxes (or at least the ones I had at that point) and starting to mail them. This would be at the end of December when Mike started moving his stuff in. Okay, so as I learned, mailing boxes isn't a terribly efficient way to go. But maybe it would have gotten things there faster and at least allowed me to unpack a few of them when I was there over New Years in order to make them available to use again.

Third point. On Uhaul moving day, I should have definitely put more things into the Uhaul, namely the futon frame (could have just slept on the cushion, which I have been doing for the past week or so, and it's just as, if not more, comfortable). This one goes hand in hand with point number 1. More things ready to go into the truck, faster the move, more things that get to Reno.

Okay, the fourth point. Even after all that Uhaul moving was done, I still had another month and a half to deal with the rest of the stuff here. But, I WAS LAZY.

Fifth and final point (I hope). Even after I realized that there was NO way I could manage fitting the remainder of my goods and wares into my car to cart around for a while, I should have given in and gotten a storage unit! Which I did...today. Not like I should have when I realized I was behind a week or two ago.

So, as I said, this story has a pleasant ending. I got my aforementioned storage unit at the Uhaul place. I DID get a couple of loads of boxes and things over there (futon, table, a small shelving unit, many boxes, yaffa blocks, etc). It was a ton easier once it is in there, and I really need to promise myself NOT to be lazy and force myself to take a box and bag of stuff on the plane every weekend as well as mail the big ones.

I also got an extension from my apartment complex to stay for a couple of extra days (at the rate of $21 a day). That makes me greatly much more relaxed.

Now to just not be a lazy little chica and finish out the work that I started. Perhaps I've just prolonged my torture for two more days :)

No comments: